Well, I went to the doctor about my hip. Here’s how it went
down.
He came in to the exam room. He introduced himself. For our
purposes today, we’ll call him Dr. Bigdy. Then he asked me how I had injured my
hip.
I launched into the story. He wanted me to show him the yoga
position I was in when I hurt myself. I sat on the floor and leaned over,
demonstrating. He asked me a lot of questions, about where it hurt then, what I
did about it. About how it hurts now.
I explained a lot. It hurt here when I injured it. Then I
sort of stopped doing yoga and stopped exercising at all for a while. I
explained that at first when I started exercising again, first started running,
it hadn’t really bothered me. Then after a while, it started to bother me in
different ways—in hurt in different places. I talked about that. Then I talked
about how it hurts now, how it’s gotten worse.
He listened. He interjected with questions and listened some
more.
This was good.
He asked me to sit up on the edge of the exam table.
He stood right in front of me and tapped my left leg. “Lift
your knee up.” I did so. Dr. Bigdy placed both his hands just above it.
“Resist. Try to keep your knee up.” Then he pushed down on my leg. I tried to
hold my knee up. I couldn’t. In just a moment it was resting on the table again
next to my other leg.
Next he stepped half a step to the side and we repeated this
on my right side. He was not able to push my right leg down. I could resist all
his pressure. Aha, he said. “See that? You have weakness on your injured side.”
I asked why. He explained that since I injured it, I can’t
use it the same as I did before. I questioned further: I feel like I’m using it
the same, I said. I don’t understand why it would be so much weaker.
“Do you want me to do it again? It’s not a party trick. This
side is clearly weaker.”
I indicated that I believe him, but didn’t understand why. I
tried to ask if the injury could have been related to the stretching of
ligaments during pregnancy and the slow re-settling of my hips after giving
birth. He corrected me: your ligaments don’t stretch during pregnancy. I got
flustered and backed off, not knowing how to ask my question now.
He wanted an x-ray. He left the room, indicating that
someone would be in to take me for the x-ray.
When the x-ray was done and Dr. Bigdy and I were both in the
room again, he pulled the x-ray image up on his computer screen.
Let me just pause here for a second and tell you that this
is the second time in my life that this part of my body has been x-rayed. I
felt, there in Dr. Bidgy’s office, the same feeling I felt about 14 years ago
when I first saw an x-ray image of my pelvis. Exposed. I suppose that is the
purpose of an x-ray: to expose the bones so that we may examine them. But I
honestly feel vulnerable when a relative stranger is staring at an
(radiographic) image of my pelvic region.
Anyway, probably to cope with my slight discomfort in that
moment, I tried to crack a little joke about my pelvis. “The last time I had an
x-ray of this region, the doctor said . . . “ The joke didn’t work. I don’t
remember exactly what I said, and I don’t remember exactly what he said in
response, but I know his response included the words, “Orthopedists don’t care
about that.”
Right.
He showed me my joint, pointed out the ways in which it
looks good and is not damaged or injured. He showed me a spot higher up—what
you or I might call the hip bone—that looked like it had something fuzzy on it.
He said that was calcium buildup from inflammation (?) and that this was likely
causing some of my pain.
He walked about that for a moment, then he stood and walked
across the room and sat in a chair facing me.
“Well, as I see it, we can treat this in one of two ways. We
can treat you as if you are an athlete—which is what you are—and you’re going
to push yourself hard and train for races and run and train and stay in
excellent condition. OR, we can treat you like you’re a middle aged woman and
you’re gonna be a little bit active sometimes.”
Then he launched into the two treatment options, one of
which he obviously preferred but felt that he had to defend it vigorously
despite the fact that he had not paused at all for me to speak. I hadn’t so
much as give him a look. He just was defensive about it. He wanted to
re-emphasize and explain why what he recommended was important, good, the best
way, and so on.
I won’t go into more detail. He talked for about ten more
minutes. No exaggeration. But when someone is defensive like that, I tend to
wonder why.
And when someone calls me a middle aged woman to try to
increase the likelihood of my agreeing to the thing that he was defensive
about, I tend to recoil in shock and horror. Ok, not really. But no matter how
routine and ordinary the recommended treatment plan was, his behavior made me
think twice about it. And by “think twice” I really mean “agonize about it for several
days.” You know me.
Thanks Dr. Bigdy!
No comments:
Post a Comment