Monday, October 19, 2009

The Salsa Story

A lot of you have heard this by now, but it bears repeating and recording. And no fair reading it without commenting either.

I was at Costco a couple of weeks ago with the boys. Every one of you knows the appeal of Costco for a child (ok, for adults, too)--samples. So, we were making our rounds of the offerings.

We approached a woman passing out samples of salsa served with tortilla chips. I got one for myself and, standing right in front of the sample table, offered Johnny a bite. He took a small taste of the salsa-coated chip.

The Sample Lady looked right at him and said, "Is it hot?"

Johnny looked a bit confused for a second then said, "Cold." She hadn't heard him so I relayed the message. She said "oh, right." After all, the stuff had been refrigerated, so naturally it was cold.

A couple of seconds passed and Johnny said, "SPICY."

The Sample Lady was shocked. "You know that word! Wow. I didn't think you would know the the word spicy."

Then Johnny looked toward the Sample Lady and said "We make salsa at home." Clear as can be. She heard him and understood every word. I think that about knocked her off her feet.

"How old ARE you?" she said. "You shouldn't be able to talk that well!" I was chuckling and trying to make sure the grin on my face wasn't too smug. Not only could he correct her usage, but then he had something relevant and intelligent to add to the conversation.

You know, she may be an all-grown-up woman and he may be just a two-year-old kid, but if we're pickin' teams, I'll take Johnny for my team any day. Sorry, Sample Lady.

6 comments:

Carol's Corner said...

Yeah. Go team!
It feels so good not to be surprised by this.

michelangelo said...

my comment is this: i don't even know the next time i'll see johnny in person. but i'm sure it won't be until he's a lot older than Sample Lady thought he "should" be before knowing words like spicy. boo.

Erin Darrington said...

I only read the last paragraph since I indeed have heard this story. But since commenting was part of the if you read agreement, I'd pick Johnny too...

unless the sample lady had more salsa... then it might be a toss up ;o).

Sarah said...

Great story.
I still couldn't say my Rs when I was two.
Of course, I'm bloody brilliant now.
-Sawah

Anonymous said...

Johnny far out shines my college class!

The Darringtons said...

Johnny is amazing. I am very scared of samples from Costco. That was when Josh blew up like a balloon and we had to take him to the doctor a.s.a.p. I never want to re-live that day again.