Saturday, February 06, 2010

Love. And some pictures.

I've been thinking a lot about this word. Its meaning and our need for it. What I believe about it, how much of it I feel and how much of it I'm giving. And, believe it or not, none of this love thought has been inspired by the coming of Valentine's Day. I'm not writing to be cheesy or romantic or cliche but simply to write about what's been on my mind. So here are some of my thoughts and beliefs about this word and the concepts behind it.

1. Love works. It really does. I'm not saying love solves all our problems. But it goes a long way. And it helps put all that's left into perspective. People can feel if our love is sincere or play-acted. And the play-acted stuff is not effective. It doesn't get it done. It fixes nothing and offers no perspective.
2. It's really easy to love while holding things back. "I love you, but I need to maintain this control over you." Or "I love you but please stop being like that." Or "I love you, but I'm still going to be selfish in this way." This love is not wholly fake but it is not complete either.

2.5 Sometimes you have to start somewhere. Love as you can.

3. It's possible to feel more love toward someone than you feel right now. I was feeling frustrated with a person in my life one day this week. I grabbed him and gave him a tight hug. I felt more love for him instantly. Wrapping my arms around him did it. I felt it filling me up, really. Other times it takes a little more than that to get past my own feelings and feel love for others filling me up, but it is usually something I must do. It's not anyone else's responsibility to make us love them.

3.5 They can sure help, though, if they want to.

4. Another way of saying what I've said in number 3 is "Act as you would feel." If you want to feel more love, act in a more loving manner. I believe with all my heart that this is true. And not just about love. Problem is, it's still so hard to get myself to act like I believe it.

5. Love heals. Let me be more specific: giving love heals me. I'm sure receiving love heals me, too.

6. Love suffers long. And love is kind. Say it again. And again. Love suffers long. And love is kind.

7. People in my life give me their love in many different ways. One important person in my life gives me love in a couple of ways that I am now really good at recognizing. I don't understand why that person chooses to give me love in that particular way, but I now always recognize it and am learning to accept it and just be grateful for it instead of wishing that person would do things differently. Love and let love, I guess. In fact, I'm sure that some people give me love the way they do because it's the only way I will let them. Sometimes I'm not fully aware that I'm pushing others away who want to love me.


8. A lot of what I know about love cannot be written. Or, if it can, I can't write it.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Really, really good post Ann. Thank you.

Erin Darrington said...

:) Love you :) Thank you again for the yummy bread. I felt your Christmas love in every bite. Again, really great post.

michelangelo said...

You have cute babies.