Sunday, October 31, 2010

No Novel Writing for me. Yet.

Next month is national novel writer's month or NaNoWriMo. I think it's awesome. The challenge is to write a 175-page or 50,000-word novel in 30 days. And there are a lot of people doing it. My rad talented niece and my rad talented friend, to name two. I briefly toyed with the idea of trying it myself. Then I remembered that I want my life to be less crazy, not more.

I also talked it over with husband guy. His response was basically that he would totally be supportive if it was about 1/2 a novel. Or 1/4. Point taken.

So, I decided to take on another endeavor for the month of November. Still involving writing but not a novel. And nothing nearly so huge as 50,000 words.

Here it is: in November, I will BLOG. My goal is to post every week day for the whole month. That means 22 posts in a month.

Think I can do it? Anyone out there planning to read them all?

Wish me luck. I'm pretty excited about this. I have some excellent posts up my sleeve that I've been meaning to get written, so this will give me the poke between the shoulder blades that I need to actually do it.

What creative endeavor are you pursuing?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Since my husband is working tonight, and I have nothing to do until choir rehearsal tomorrow night, I am starting nice and early on NaNoWriMo -midnight Mountain Time! That's in about three and a half hours.

For me, NaNoWriMo is a first step in my experimenting with focusing hard on ONE creative endeavor at a time. I tend to want to do it all -write songs, knit, write, compose- every day.

Excited to read your November blog posts!
-Rad Niece

Lisa said...

Ann--You've inspired me. I too wish there was space in my day for something like NaNoWriMo, but I feel overwhelmed just thinking about that prospect, especially in the midst of a teething baby, home preschool, the primary program, two birthdays, and sewing for Christmas. Whoosh. So, I'm committing to blogging along with you. I keep a private journaling blog, and I'm going to write once a day. Your posts will be a good reminder for me. So here we go. Best of luck on the journey.

Unknown said...

I read them all!