Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Rule Number 1: Listen

Making some new rules for myself as a mom. A lot of times I think that what I have to say is SO important.  Right? My kids should really tune into to all that I'm telling them. Right?

Not really. Not if I don't listen to them and help them feel that I've heard them.

If I listen enough, maybe, at some point, they will catch a word or two of the most important things I'm sharing with them. Maybe. But that's not even the point.

The point is Listen.

Listen to learn and understand. Listen to comfort. Listen to help. Listen to show them what listening looks like. Listen to gain their trust. Listen to build their self-esteem. Listen so they can sort out their thoughts.

Now, I know what you may be thinking.  As the mom to three boys six and under, how much listening could I really need to be doing?  I do experience that "How was school today, Charlie?" "Good." one-word answer thing. A lot. I listen to that and take it for what it is. But that listening is listening on my agenda. Nothing wrong with that, but probably not the most important moment for listening.

What about listening when he's trying to tell me about how much he wants to go to Burger King? Sounds insignificant.  But you could be wrong.

3 comments:

michelangelo said...

I never need to go to Burger King, so you have my permission not to listen to me if I say I want to go there.

Other than that, you speak wisdom.

Monique said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Monique said...

Thanks Ann for sharing! I initially read your new rule #1 about listening on the Screamfree newsletter. Then I came to your blog and found even more insightful information. Thanks again! Monique