Friday, May 25, 2012

I will blog about this trip, Part 6

Last things about Egypt.

I haven't told you everything about Egypt. I couldn't possibly. I loved it there. Cairo isn't a beautiful city (sorry!). But I loved the people we met. Since I've never been anywhere, this was my first chance to just absorb a very foreign place. And I did.

I was not able to capture my favorite image of Cairo. As we were riding in our mini-bus through the city, we passed a huge flat bed trailer. It was as long as a semi-trailer and it held great bundles of re-bar. The trailer was pulled by a horse. The driver was dressed in the stereotypical Egyptian-looking garb--about like what the camel guy was wearing. He was holding the reins and a cell phone at the same time and was texting as he drove. This is Egypt.

Before we got back to our hotel, we were taken to a cotton store. You know, Egyptian cotton is supposed to be fabulous. The store had some beautiful stuff, but I couldn't afford any of it. It was clearly a place for rich tourists to shop. I tried on an awesome dress, but didn't buy. The salesperson wouldn't give us any space or I would have taken a photo of myself in it.

Anyway, when we pulled up to the cotton store, we could see kids kids pouring out of the gates of a building across the street. Wael told us that was the public school. I took a picture.



You can see the young boys coming
out of the gate on the right side of the photo

The next day, when we got to the airport in Cairo, I noticed a lighted sign that was everywhere, in English and in Arabic.


The fact that this sign was everywhere shows that they have a great deal of pride, especially about the revolution. But I just can't seem to reconcile the words with the images.

What do you have to say about it?

Egypt is voting this week for their new president! So I am thinking of Wael, his wife, and his little son Omar and their future in that ancient land.

3 comments:

michelangelo said...

at work, we talk about things being "unreconciled" all the time. so i'm used to it.

i also plan to suggest that the young people of america paint "egypt" across their foreheads.

Carol's Corner said...

or Obama

michelangelo said...

ps. i love the image of the flatbed pulled by horse with the guy texting on his cell phone.