Sometimes I get up in the night to go to the bathroom. Lately, I get up three times in the night to go to the bathroom. I know, you're jealous.
It's not that I really mind getting up to go, but I long ago learned that such mid-night adventures often lead to post-potty awake time lasting an hour or two, especially if the potty break occurs near 4am. And one of the three usually does.
So, I long since changed the way to handle these potty breaks.
Old method:
stagger into the bathroom
flip on the light
do my business
flush the toilet
wash my hands
turn off light
go back to bed.
The old method is bad bad bad.
Current method:
stagger into the bathroom
feel my way to the toilet in the dark
do my business
go back to bed.
Hands can be washed and toilets can be flushed in the light of day.The current method might be disgusting to you, but I prefer it to the awake time I mentioned above. It helps with that, but does not completely prevent it.
This is all to say that last night, for the first time ever, I had a bathroom mishap. As I attempted to line myself up with the toilet before sitting down, I went too far and smacked the side of my face (right near my eye) on the shelf that hangs not-quite-over the toilet on the left side.
I cried out. "Owwwww!"
The best part about the whole incident was how fast Jeremy was out of bed and coming to where I was. "Ann?" he called, "are you ok?" Talk about an instant response. Good to know, right?
But the worst part is that I still have the headache brought on by the incident. But at least I didn't lie awake for an hour thinking about it when I went back to bed.
4 comments:
1. No. You probably knocked yourself out.
2. I know and have used both methods. Lights off is best for me but no guarantee, as you say.
3. Good for Jeremy.
4. Sorry about your head.
I agree. Method 2 is far preferable. Glad you didn't get a black eye. That would have been difficult to explain. :)
Since I've been in Singapore, when I'm half-asleep in the bathroom, I keep reaching for the paper on the left side, like at home. Then I come fully awake and think "why isn't the paper here?" I try EVERYTHING not to wake up, but darn it, that paper dispenser is messing things up. xo
I'm a lights off, hand sanitizing, flusher kind of gal.
maybe you could just put a nightlight in the bathroom and stick with method 2.
Post a Comment