Monday, October 17, 2016

I write things

More specifically, I write poetry.

And I know that poetry isn't a thing for most of my friends and even a lot of my family. My mother writes poetry and has for as long as I can remember. My sister has written some and posted it on her blog. I love that they write and share this poetry with me. But most of the other people in my life neither read nor write poetry. So it feels like a bit of a confession to tell you that this is part of my life. I want it to be part of my life. One thing that I want very badly is to be a good poet. Not just someone who writes, not just someone who writes poetry, but someone who writes good poetry.

And that is more important than receiving any particular kind of recognition for my poetry or achieving any particular measure of success most of us might think of for a poet. I don't anticipate ever having a book or my poetry published. I don't say that to sell myself short or anything like that. It just doesn't seem particularly likely.

So how will I measure my success as a poet? How will I know if I've written good poems, if I am good at what I do?

That's something I have to figure out. Since I'm being honest and confessional here, I will admit that I would like someone--like an editor or great poet or contest judge--to tell me my poems are good. Something to work toward.

So far I have posted none of my poetry on this blog or on the internet generally. I don't think I will, my friends. But regardless, I'm just making it known: 

I write poetry.

Do you write poetry, too, and I just don't know it? No? Well, what DO you write?

1 comment:

Carol's Corner said...

Carry on. Write poetry.