Monday, July 10, 2006
Somewhere New. But where?
This past week Jeremy and I have been working on what's called the flower exercise. Not some exotic yoga thing. It's from this What Color is Your Parachute? book, and it is supposed to magically (ok, with some work) tell us what, where, and how about our future. We can't stay here, so where are we to go? What are we to do? How do we do it all and keep our sanity (and solvency)? Well, we are putting our faith in this flower diagram exercise thing to answer all those questions for us, and crazy as it sounds, I think we're doing the right thing. We're almost done with the exercise (there are many little activities you go through to learn things about yourself that you need to know) and then the research work begins. Research fields, talk to people about their jobs and how they got them, find out about places, ask people how they like the places they live. On and on. Sounds like a lot of work, but the Parachute author says to treat it like a full time job. And I hope we will. It's so tempting to ask Jeremy to stay home and help me with this or that. To say "let's go to the beach" or "let's take Charlie to the park" or whatever. "Let's go shopping for..." But we need to discipline ourselves--work anyway, as I am now starting to say. And spending lots of money doesn't seem like a good idea right now, either, but I think we have both begun using that as a coping mechanism. We have no idea what our future holds or how we will support ourselves? Great! Let's go out to dinner! It is sort of exciting to think of us in a new place. Starting over, sort of. Something fresh. Somewhere new.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment