Monday, January 26, 2009

Oh, how I love my . . .

. . . ice cream maker. So we actually make the ice cream and the machine only spins it and makes it freezy, but I love that this machine is a part of my life. My regular old "we're out of ice cream again let's pick up some cream and half-and-half from Costco" kind of life. Also, someday, I will scout out a really awesome automatic ice cream maker, large capacity, and buy it, no matter how much it costs. Ours is good, but I know there are better give-yourself-the-gift-of-real-ice-cream contraptions out there.

. . . husband guy's popcorn maker. Yes, I consider it to be his. I mean, all I do with the thing is clean it. He's the one who always makes the popcorn. Maybe right about now you are picturing one of those horrible air poppers. Oh no. This is an oil popper. You add the oil (with canola or olive, it's NOT that bad for you, ok?) and the popcorn kernals to the little popping tray (I don't really know what it's called) cover it and plug it in. A little metal arm spins to stir the kernals while the tray itself heats up. After a few short minutes, you have real, delectable popcorn. You flip the whole thing upside down and the popcorn is now magically in its bowl. And it's actually good just like that, but butter and salt are our additions of choice. Caramel never hurt, either. I am actually a popcorn snob. I admit it. The last time I ate microwave popcorn, it tasted so funky to me and left a nastoid smell on my fingertips. That just ain't right.

. . . dishwasher. As I was about to tackle the mountain of dishes that mysteriously ended up in my sink when I arrived home from church, I remembered the days not so long ago when we didn't have a dishwasher. This was the first, oh, six years of our marriage. In Berkeley, we had this unbelievably miniscule kitchen. Three cabinets, one drawer, and not a speck of countertop anywhere. None. Unless you count the top of the washing machine, which was right next to the kitchen sink (happy thought indeed!). And, since I lived there for 2 1/2 years, I know quite well that if all you have as a counter is the top of a washing machine, you will use it and you will be grateful for it. But back to the dishwasher. There wasn't one. Next to the sink (which was also miniscule) there was just enough space for a little dish-drying rack. Let's just say that we spent a lot more of our precious time washing dishes than we do now. Now, as I type this, I can hear our dishwasher rhythmically humming and whooshing upstairs. I often fall asleep to this blessed, blessed noise.

I'll stop there. I'm not sure anyone needs to hear any more of my devotions to appliances. Maybe next time I'll write about some people I love. Nah, maybe food.

8 comments:

michelangelo said...

but i want to know more about your new cuisinart stand mixer (i hear you love that, too). i'm wondering if i want a cuisinart or a kitchenaid in my wedding registry (you gotta dream big, okay). so sell me on the cuisinart, if you please.

Anonymous said...

Was it our microwave popcorn that you last had and are disparaging so? I admit it is not as good as Jeremy's homemade popcorn, but neither my nor Sarah's ultrasensitive nose have detected a "nastoid" smell from our microwave popcorn brand.

queenann said...

Joel, neither Jeremy nor I remember having microwave popcorn while benefitting from your unassailable hospitality last month. The "nastoid" microwave popcorn I was thinking of came from another source altogether. And while that source is kind and good, I do not intend to partake of any further popcorn offerings from that direction. But, I flatter myself that I would always be more than civil in refusing. Please give my compliments to your good wife and your two delightful young sons.

;)

Carol's Corner said...

I confess. It was my nastoid popcorn.
I will also accept to "kind and good" label.
Love,
Mom

queenann said...

Mom, it was not your popcorn. Please, all of you, stop trying to take credit for nastoidness. It wasn't you. I promise.

Camille said...

WE have one of those Ice cream makers too, but we don't use it nearly enough!

I have an air popper. Which is way better than microwave, which I totally agree is awful and should be banned by the FDA for the smelly finger side effect. I wouldn't mind trading my air popper for an oil one.

Dish washers are great, but I have to say I put a higher value on my washing machine and dryer. I would die if I had to wash clothes by hand.

michelangelo said...

oh sure, queen ann, respond to other commenters' queries but not mine. i see how it is.

queenann said...

dearest michelangelo. responding to your comment requires the cooperation of my partner in life, and I have not yet managed to pick the important morsels of fact from his ever-so-full-and-busy brain.

Squeaky wheel, you will get your grease.