Next, I made an appointment with my primary care physician. I complained about the plantar wart, but he said he couldn't help me. I asked him if he'd refer me to a podiatrist for it. He said no. I exaggerated some foot and knee pain I was having while exercising, saying perhaps I needed an orthotic insert for my shoes. Fine, he said, and referred me.
Between that appointment and my scheduled appointment with the podiatrist, I found out I was pregnant with my first child.
And this fact came up, actually, as I talked with the podiatrist about this not necessary orthotic. Of course, everyone knows a woman's foot can change size while she's pregnant, so that's probably not a good time for that kind of fitting. Dr. K Raap (his real name) also told me that he did not like the idea of cutting out a plantar wart. I would do it, he said, if that's what you want, but I'd strongly advice you against it.
"Could you do it today?" I asked, all hope and disobedience.
"No, not today. We'd have to schedule you another appointment. But, if you're pregnant, you might find that your body just takes care of it. During pregnancy a lot of women find that their body cleanses itself of all those kinds of things naturally. You might want to wait and see what your body does."
Another $50 co-pay wasted. No one will ever compensate me for that or for the energy I put into hoping that my body would beat the wart while working to create--from two minuscule cells--the perfect, fully-formed, 6 lb. 10 oz. infant that was my son at birth.
3 comments:
It's not that these four parts aren't good, it's just that it's hard to wait. Life is short, you know.
I'm feeling like 1875 and it's a newspaper serial and hoping the author doesn't die of it or get fired from it or something.
I have had warts removed from the bottom of my foot, and they never came back. However, they may not have been plantar warts.
Post a Comment