Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Party Upstairs

Since we moved in four months ago, one box has been sitting unopened in a corner of the bedroom hallway upstairs.

And today, my boys opened the box.  I heard the noise of the tape on top being ripped off.  "What is that sound?"

Charlie came to the top of the stairs and called, "Johnny's opening that other box of books!"  He said it like I was going to dash up there and put a stop to it.

But I didn't.  I just went back to making a salad in the kitchen, but I could hear their excited voices crying out with delight as they pulled out their books, all old friends.

And soon it was a party.  Books were the decorations (I imagined them strewn all over the hallway floor), the honored guests, and the refreshments to savor.  What a celebration.  Johnny would come running down the stairs every so often to exclaim, "Mom, look!  I found the train book!" or "Mom, I found Mater and the Ghost Light."  Then he would just as quickly dash back upstairs to further unpack the box.

When daddy came in from work, they were still partying.  Jeremy grabbed the baby and went up to join in.

Then, after dinner, Charlie and Johnny disappeared again, back to their box at the top of the stairs.  It was one of those rare times that mom realizes things are a little too quiet but doesn't get worried.  Party on.

5 comments:

Carol's Corner said...

I just love such a party.

michelangelo said...

party in a box instead of a bag.

Judy said...

If it's okay, I want to post on potluckandprose something with a link to your party. I almost cried. It's so sweet and will make all readers happy.

Marissa Genta Pineda said...

That's my kind of party! Make sure the boys invite me to the next one.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful that at such a young age they consider books their friends. Good job mom and dad!