Tuesday, June 07, 2011

My favorite telemarketer ever.

I'd seen the number on the caller ID several times in the past few weeks. Every time I actually answered it, they asked for Jeremy and when he wasn't available, they said they'd call back.

This time, it was a woman on the other end. After I told her Jeremy wasn't available, I asked if there was something I could help her with. She was calling for the Philadelphia Orchestra. Their 111th anniversary is coming up and . . .
She interrupted her own script to ask, "Do I hear children in the background?"
"You certainly do."
"Oh, that explains it."
Pause.
She went on, "That explains why you only attended one concert this year. Thank you so much. I won't trouble you further."
"O k . . . "
"Have a good evening." And she hung up.

Top that.

2 comments:

michelangelo said...

"hi, may i speak with alyce larsen?"

"this is she."

"mrs. larsen, we're calling to follow-up to make sure your [some sort of diabetes equipment] arrived and to find out how it's working for you."

"i don't know what you're talking about."

"um. okay. do you have diabetes?"

"no."

"does anyone in your household?"

"no."

"i'm terribly sorry. thank you for your time. goodbye."

come on, that's pretty good, too. but yours is better, i know.

Manfred said...

What explains it? That we're poor? That we're too busy to go out? I can't imagine she sells much if she gives up that easily.