Friday, May 20, 2011

Say what you think, why don't you

I was walking toward the office building that contains my sons' pediatrician's office.  In one arm I held the 25 pounds of adorable that is Edmund.  With my other hand, I held Johnny's hand.  Charlie walked next to me holding a barf bowl. You know, in case after barfing all night, he wasn't done.  

The woman walking toward me stopped about ten feet from me and said,

"You must have had a GREAT mother's day."

I stared at her blankly, trying to figure out a) what she could possibly mean and b) what I could say back that would be polite.  Before I could come up with anything, she said, 

"Three kids!  That's A LOT of kids."

I think I said, "It is?" as she walked away chuckling to herself.

What would you have said? And is three kids a lot of kids? And who asked her anyway?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Still don't know what she meant.

Three kids isn't a lot, I don't think. I think after three, you're pushing into the territory of "a lot." Five is definitely a lot.

Did you say, "Naw. I'm the youngest of seven?"

Sarah said...

Ooooh, or even better.

"Is three a lot? You should meet my other two."

Erin Darrington said...

A lot compared to zero I guess. Maybe you could say, It was a great mother's day, I have A LOT of blessings :)? What a considerate woman.
PS I hope the barf bowl wasn't needed

Carol's Corner said...

I am bummed. Truly. This is the third message I have missed because for some reason my google page has stopped showing your new messages, and for some reason--maybe the same one--does not allow me to click on your gadget. What is going on?

Hard to have kindly feelings towards people who make comments like the lady made. That's our challenge, I guess, those of us with A LOT of kinds.
Glad for all your bundles of of wonderfulness. Glad for all of mine. Very glad.

Carol's Corner said...

I meant A LOT of kids.

Marissa Genta Pineda said...

Back when I had three kids, I used to get a lot of "Oh, you have your hands full!" My response was "Thank goodness!" Then I got blank stares. Now, with five kids, I get a lot of "Are all of them YOURS?" Usually, I smile wickedly and say, "Oh, these are only half of them." It's fun to watch the jaws drop.
Usually this kind of thing happens when we're just out and about and everyone is hale and hearty--and it's fun to be able to say "Yeah, it's a little crazy, but I wouldn't have it any other way!" Not sure I would be feeling that sentiment during a barf-bucket experience, though. I hope the little guy is on the mend!