Friday, January 31, 2014

What my mother said to me yesterday

Or was it the day before.

Something like:

Maybe you need to have another baby and have it be a girl so you can name her Lola. If you don't, then we're not going to have that name anymore in our family.

Yes, she really did say that. I'm not quoting, but this is pretty close.


So. Now. Several things.



1. When she visited me on the occasion of the birth of my daughter Willamina, she said something like, "Good, now you're done." She declared that I was done having babies.

2. She feels now that it is my responsibility to make sure this name carries on. Not my sister Lola's, because she's done having children. Not the responsibility of any of Lola's children because, well, why? Because they are in the next generation? Because they are not in the time of their lives yet when they are having children and she doesn't know if they will choose to have any at all? Not any of my other siblings, either, I suppose because she knows none of them are crazy enough to still be having children. Not Alyce's responsibility because she's getting her baby boy (Soon!) and can't be pressured about having more children. Very rude to apply pressure there for a couple of reasons. So it's down to me. Me!

3. She's choosing the names for my babies now?

4. Not worth mentioning like: (a) I still have a baby and (b) I'll just go ahead and have any future babies be girls.  Just like that.

It's a good thing I love my mother.

But you see, there's also another problem. A grave problem. Have you spotted it? No. Well maybe you don't know me well enough. I forgive you. It's this: I love babies. Almost as much as I love my mother. And I love the name Lola, too.

This is a very grave problem indeed. Mother: next time, keep silent!

1 comment:

MHludzin said...

Well, why stop with one girl? ;)