I'm currently in love with cauliflower.
And not as a low-carb potato substitute. And not as a gluten-free pizza dough substitute. Because, you see, I'm not eating low carb or gluten free.
I'm not against using cauliflower in those ways. In fact, I have served cauliflower puree to my family, and my boys ate it like it was mashed potatoes (which is the first and last time they've ever willingly eaten cauliflower). But, it didn't fool me. On the infrequent occasions that I want mashed potatoes, I actually want them to be made with potatoes. I know.
But, back to cauliflower. Even if my kids won't eat it, I will continue to buy it and roast it and then try to keep myself from eating all of it before going to bed.
Lately, I roast it on a tray with chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Those are yummier roasted, too.
I made this salad. Roasted cauliflower and chickpeas. A dressing made with lemon and mustard and olive oil. Then chopped herbs (I used cilantro instead of parsley). And the raisins, golden or otherwise, are optional. But I can't resist the little hit of sweetness.
Last night, we didn't make the salad. We just stuffed our roasted cauliflower and chickpeas into pitas with red onion, cucumber, and feta. Some of us wanted hummus smeared on this, too. Yum.
I've got to try this soup. I already know I'll love it. It's the white cheddar that's holding me back. I'm going to have to break the rules and use my orange cheddar. I'm such a rebel.
I probably need to branch out of the roasting thing. I saw this idea: you slice the cauliflower thin and steam/saute it with onions and all those fragrant spices. Does that not look amazing? Well, I'd probably not put in quite that much chile pepper/jalapeno, but wouldn't Jeremy be thrilled if I did?
As long as I'm finding it for $2/head, I'm going to keep buying cauliflower. This is fun.
1 comment:
As a child I would not touch cauliflower, that is, after the first taste of it. My mother never fixed it as mashed potatoes. When we had mashed potatoes, they were made from potatoes. But she fixed it because it was good for us. Yuck.
Now I like cauliflower--cooked, with cheese or butter or whatever; and raw. I grew up, I guess.
Post a Comment