Sunday, April 20, 2008

My Beautiful Sister

I have a sister named Alyce. She's the one on the left.
Isn't she beautiful?

Alyce had a bike accident yesterday. She was going down a hill and got going a bit too fast. When she applied the brakes, she went over the front of the bike.

She is ok. She was taken to the hospital where she had stitches in her lips and elsewhere on her face.

Nothing is broken except.
Her four front teeth are broken out.

She was released after a few hours at the hospital.

She will be seeing a oral/maxillofacial surgeon as soon as possible to get going on the repair of her teeth (and face?). I have seen photos of her, and she looks very beat up. My mother and I cried when we saw the pictures. Her face is very scraped up, and apparently so are her forearms and hands, although I haven't seen photos of that part.

She is on a good deal of pain medication and says it is working. She seems to be in decent spirits. She knows it could have been a lot worse, so she is trying to look at it that way, but she is very upset about her teeth and concerned about the cuts and scrapes on her face healing up well without leaving bad scars.

I talked to Alyce this morning. She was eating applesauce. Her roommate Emily was taking good care of her.

I'm very upset about this, worried about her. I have been looking at photos of her and hoping and praying that her radiant tooth-revealing smile will be properly restored so she will be as beautiful as always. I know she has so much more beauty to her than her physical beauty. But I still hope she can heal quickly and perfectly. I love her.

I told her I don't want difficult things to happen to her, but she is good at getting through them. There's that, I suppose.

1 comment:

Jenae said...

That is very upsetting and makes me cry too! We love you Alyce and wish you quick, whole healing!