Friday, August 28, 2009

Not for the weak-stomached, part one.

It's about my plantar wart. And we're going to start at the very beginning.

This THING mysteriously appeared on the bottom of my foot when I was newly married. Perhaps I contracted it from the evergreen tile floors in Verl's basement or from the shower of one of the "top-notch" hotels we stayed in on our honeymoon. I don't know. But one day there was this small round bit of skin smack in the middle of my heel that was a bit tender to pressure. I picked at it, cut at it with toe-nail clippers and so forth, but it just kept coming back and it seemed to be getting bigger.

I began to ask around to figure out what it was and how I could get rid of it. I know we had the internet back in 00-01, but I'm not sure I was as conditioned to run to it to look up every little thing as I am now. Somehow, I figured out that this thing, annoying, painful, gross, was my very own plantar wart. Then I began trying all the suggestions everyone had for me.

Including, but not limited to, sticking Dr. Scholl's medicated wart removers to it, coating the thing with clear nail polish, brushing on straight salicylic acid in concentrations from 7 - 20%, covering the wart and half my foot with duct tape for as many days as I could without removing it, wrapping my whole foot in saran wrap before bed (which caused my foot to sweat unbearably), willing the thing away with pure vemonous hatred, and allowing my mom to treat it with the essential oil of oregano (which has left me with a strong dislike of oregano itself ever since).

None of these treatments had any desired effect. The wart remained, stinging and stubborn as ever, and I got frustrated. I need me a doctor, I told myself, and I called up the handy-dandy and newly relocated BYU Student Health Center and asked for an appointment with their podiatrist. I later learned that you are supposed to first obtain a referral from one of the health center's general practitioners, but on the magical day that I called, the receptionist asked no questions and promptly scheduled me an appointment with

Dr. Gary Morley.

...to be continued...

3 comments:

Carol's Corner said...

Oh great. Get us all into your wart and such and then quit. I have always hated that terrible to be continued . . . thing.

The Darringtons said...

That sounds like one of those things that you are glad someone else has. It is annoying when you having something wrong with you and it won't go away! i.e. gall bladder pain but don't know that is what it was. I figured I had that for almost 3 years without knowing that was it.

Wendy said...

What Carol said---