Even though you know that, given the hiatus you've taken from it, it will hurt a lot. It will be unpleasant now and for the next few days. But if you do it, you might get back to the point where you don't mind it. Where you like the feeling it gives you when you've gotten it done.
And you know that no matter where you look or what else you try, there's really no other place you can get that feeling. Despite the mouthfuls of blood, this is the only path to get there.
Don't be afraid of gagging. Yes, I know that's why you stopped in the first place. We always have what seems like a good reason for stopping. But that's past. Trust that it's past and go forward. Being afraid just isn't going to get you anywhere.
Yes, you've had some discomfort. Caring for your teeth has come to feel like some sort of adversity. But listen to this. A wise man recently said that relief often comes in the "inspiration to do what might seem especially hard for the person who needs help [herself]." In other words, you know you need relief, so you get an idea that will really help, even though it's the most difficult thing you could have imagined. That's why when you stood before the mirror downstairs and ran your tongue over your teeth and the thought popped into your head "hey, why not try flossing!" you knew it would be an enormous hurdle to get over, but you knew that no matter how hard it was and will be, flossing is the very thing that will help. The hard thing, the bloody, don't make me do this, I can't believe I'm doing this, I'm glad no one can see me now thing, but the helpful thing.
You can just choose to do it. Day after day, you can choose to do it. And then you can wait and see what the changes will be. You can watch and feel for the difference. And the thing is, no one else will really know.
But you.
8 comments:
Bloody sounds really bloody. I'm thinking it's really somewhere between that and the way Johnny's foot was bleeding last night.
And you know, of course, that the bleeding of your gums will cease with regular flossing.
And it's only a little piece of skinny string.
But, hey, it's all your business.
Love,
Mom
P.S. The above from one who became a faithful flosser in her . . . 66th year on this earth.
To clarify:
When I use the word "bloody" I do NOT mean "I saw a little blood, boo-hoo, I need a band-aid."
When I use the word "bloody" I do mean "wow, my teeth are covered in red stuff now and...gosh I need to spit out this mouthful of blood."
Obviously not everyone has experience with flossing while pregnant.
Also,
P.S. It's possible some people just don't get it.
awww, spitting blood and plantars, sweet. btw, I have a rotten toenail saga that I think you would appreciate...
I think this is your third post dedicated to flossing isn't it? Ahhh glorious oral hygiene. They have this kids floss that is fluffy until you pull it tight, it's good for sensitive gums... just an idea.
P.S. Johnny's foot?
Oh yeah, Johnny's foot wasn't bleeding at all, ever. He was just pretending it was bleeding so he could have a band-aid.
Post a Comment