Thursday, June 03, 2010

Things I now buy frequently that I never used to buy

1. Red bell peppers.

I remember distinctly that when I was first married and living in Provo, I would walk through the produce section at the Macey's grocery store and look longingly at them. They were just too blanged expensive. We could afford the green bell peppers, but. No one I know likes those NEARLY as much as the glorious beautiful red ones.

2. Goldfish crackers.

I kid myself that I'm buying something "healthy" because I ONLY buy the Goldfish crackers that are made with (some) Whole Grain. Also, I'm better than other folks because I never ever buy the (frightening) rainbow-colored Goldfish. Uh-huh.

Also, I confess. I actually like eating Goldfish. And I do sometimes.

3. Cream and half-and-half.

For making ice cream, of course. But once you have them in the house, you find all sorts of other uses for them. And delectable recipes that call for them. I only buy them at Costco, though, because I can't afford them elsewhere.

Also, I remember that my grandpa always used to eat his Cracklin' Oat Bran with half-and-half. Sounds good, doesn't it?

4. Feta cheese.

Almost always have some in my fridge these days. Back in the days before red bell peppers were in the budget, I didn't even know what this was. Then I moved to California. And everything changed.

5. Big two-packs of PAM (non-stick cooking spray).

Because now, almost every time a recipe tells me to do something with floured hands (like shape bread dough), I just spray my hands with PAM. Is that awful? And I never use PAM for spraying a frying pan or skillet. (Jeremy might wring my neck!) If I'm going to cook something on the stove, I'll use oil.

But the point is. I make things that involve spraying my hands with PAM often. SO I buy it in bulk.

6. Bags of pecans, almonds, and pistachios.

Yes, I like nuts. I think we can blame my husband for this. I can't handle walnuts, though. They taste like dirt.


Stay tuned for the next post--things my husband won't eat.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Most of those are staple items at my house too. Pam is not, I like using it I just always forget to buy it.

Carol's Corner said...

Do you remember your dad loved Rice Krispies with 1/2 and 1/2? I think he took a secret swig of it, too, now and then. I know I have.

Remember the time I confessed to never having bought a shallot, one of which you were cutting up in preparation for dinner? Seems like it was just last night.