Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I've been

doing yoga lately. A woman at church has been offering free classes twice a week. She's awesome. Yoga is awesome. I didn't think I would like it, but I do. My favorite part is that it's helping me correct my chronically bad posture. You know, from forever holding and nursing my babies? Well, I still hold my baby, but I don't want to be hunched over forever. And I was actually having chronic back pain. Not severe most of the time, but bad enough to send me a signal that something needed to change. Yoga (along with some other strengthening workouts I've been doing) is helping me change it all--the posture and the pain.

changing the way I eat. I don't want to say that I've started eating healthy because I think "healthy" now has all sorts of meanings to different people. One person may take that to mean that I'm trying to eat lower fat (I'm not) or that I'm trying to eat lower carbs (I'm not) or that I now snack on nothing but celery dipped in salsa (never!). Or maybe you think it means I've done on a full on diet. But I don't believe in those. So, suffice it to say I am trying to 1. eat closer to the way the word of wisdom teaches us to eat and 2. feel in control of what I eat--like I choose it instead of it choosing me and 3. not eat because of sadness, loneliness or frustration or just because my daily habits tell me "this is a time when you usually eat, so eat." Mostly, what I'm trying to do is eat things that are made out of food and that make me feel good physically after eating them and to eat in ways that allow me to feel good about myself emotionally. In case you are wondering, I have not been eating Twizzlers and Ben and Jerry's. At least not for a few weeks. But I have occasionally had a small bowl of the wonderful ice cream my husband has been making. And there is no self-condemnation involved, no matter what I eat. Phew.

pretty happy almost every day.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

When I eat closer to the WoW, I find that I feel a lot better. It's interesting because I don't eat much unhealthy food, but just a few changes (not for the sake of being thin, but for the sake of being healthy) make a big difference. Also, I find that I have significant emotional changes based on what I eat as well.

Helen said...

I love yoga also, glad you like it too. I agree about your thoughts on "healthy" eating, and I FOR SURE agree that there should be no guilt involved. Guilt usually just makes things worse.

MandB said...

I love the choosing your food, not letting it choose you thing. And the "no self-condemnation" tack. Can you please tell me the key to that? I feel like I have a spotlight of self-condemnation that just moves from one area of my life to another-- if I'm dieting, it shines on my diet. If we're overspending, budget.