Thursday, December 24, 2009

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

I listened to this song this morning. We've all heard it a thousand times performed by dozens of singers. For the first time, I heard it performed by its composer, Hugh Martin. He played the piano and only sang a few of the song's lyrics, here and there, while he played. I loved what he played.

But I know the words and I sang them in my head.

Listening, I instantly became happy and sad.

Happy, because it's Christmas. The line "Let your heart be light" really struck me. Light of heart. That is the feeling of Christmas, and I want it.

Sad because many of these years we don't all get to be together. And there are some people I really miss. But the song reminded me that we will yet be together, and until then, we'll get through somehow.

I sat in the car listening, missing, yearning, and resolving. Have yourself a merry little Christmas, now.

No comments: