Thursday, June 30, 2016

Edmund and the swim test, part 2


"Will you do the test if they come down here to do it?"

He nodded his quick yes and the lifeguard signaled with her whistle to the other guards. "We need a swim test down here!"

Then the lifeguard told me what he had to do for the swimming test: he had to swim to the rope that divides the pool and then turn around and swim back. My heart sank a little. It was FAR. I had never even seen him swim half that far. And the last time I had even seen him swim recognizable strokes was TWO years ago when he last had swimming lessons. (Last summer was too crazy for swimming much at all. Don't get me started.)

We stood there waiting for the other lifeguards to arrive. Edmund seemed nervous. I was nervous. Mina, not so much. When the lifeguard arrived, he pulled Edmund over to a good starting point and again explained what he had to do. It was definitely too hard for Edmund. I asked him if he was sure he wanted to do it it.

"Yes."

I reminded him that unlike the other end of the pool where he was used to swimming, he would not be able to reach down here to put his foot down. Ok?

"OK."

The lifeguard said, "I'll be right here watching, so if anything bad happens, I'll jump right in a get you."

"OK."

The lifeguard said, "You can start whenever you are ready."

And that's when Edmund did something I've never seen him do before: without hesitation, he jumped in and started swimming. Freestyle. Off he went and I honestly had no idea he could do that. Down at the shallow end, I had seen him swim underwater a few times that day, so I naturally though that's what he would do. But he didn't. He swam that way, looking strong all the way to the turn around point. The lifeguard called to him that he could turn around now, and I called out to him that he could swim underwater if he wanted. The manager lifeguard who was also standing by watching called out to him telling him to try swimming underwater. He had not slowed or faltered. He stopped and turned around with no problem and started to swim underwater. But clearly he hadn't gotten a good breath because he came up again after a stroke or two. He went down again, swimming a few more strokes before surfacing again. He was now halfway back--3/4 of the way done with the test.

But now he had stopped. I could tell he was just sorta catching his breath to continue, but when five more seconds passed without him moving forward, the lifeguard jumped in and grabbed him out.

I knew he was still fine, but I understand that the lifeguard couldn't take any chances.

Ok, so he didn't pass the swimming test to be able to go down the waterslide (yet) but I don't think I've ever been so proud of him. The way he just went for it, when I knew he had been dealing with a lot of anxiety around the whole thing. The way he swam like I've never seen him swim. It was just so full of heart.

The kids waiting for the slide and the other lifeguards had all been watching and as he stood there dripping, they all told him how great he had done. John admitted that Edmund's swimming just then was probably better than his own. I wasn't saying much because I didn't want to embarrass him by weeping openly and blubbering all over him in front of all those people, but I squeaked out a calm "Edmund, I'm so proud of you!" when I could. And a "you didn't make it that time, but you can keep trying. You were so close."

I think he genuinely felt good about how he'd done. He did tell me later that he thought he could have finished if he could have caught his breath. But he wasn't mad about the result. I think the whole thing boosted his confidence.

Oh maybe you thought that this was the story of Edmund amazingly passing the swim test when it really didn't look good. But not passing the swim test still held some beauty for me. I just loved watching him swim. Not the victory we were looking for, but I'll take it.


1 comment:

Carol's Corner said...

Crying and blubbering here in my writing room. All alone. I just love Edmund. What a strong boy he is. And, now we know for sure he will pass the test.