Thursday, June 23, 2016

Singing

Today I had to take two of my children in for their annual check-ups at the doctor, also known as wellness visits. This meant piling all four of them into the van. Nothing new for us. They asked me to turn on the radio. The station they wanted to listen to had "20 songs in a row! No Commercials!"

I don't remember what song was playing, but nothing thrilling. When it ended, "Hello" by Adele started. They all said, "YES!" I smiled. I don't particularly like the song (and I don't dislike it either), but it amused me that they were celebrating.

What happened next was just the kind of moment I live for. You guessed it: they all began singing along. All three of my boys were enthusiastically singing the words from memory. And do you think Mina was singing, too?

I joined in. It's nearly impossible not to the know the lyrics to that song in the Adele-saturated world we live in. But somewhere in the final chorus, it got to me.

Yes, I admit I got choked up looking in the rear view mirror at my children all singing together. A song with a message they couldn't possibly relate to, but that is not the part that matters. I just love singing so much, so when I see my kids singing--and all together as a bonus--I just get overcome by joy.

It happens to me a lot when I'm singing, but especially when I'm singing with a group of people I care about. I just feel it. I feel singing.

1 comment:

Carol's Corner said...

Most mornings I wake up singing something. It hasn't been Hello yet. Someday, maybe.
I love singing, Ann, and wouldn't I have cried in your car to see and hear your kids singing.
Yes! It would be good crying.