Monday, November 15, 2010

How did I get here? Part Four

Friday, August 20th was the last day of Jeremy's last term. Just a few loose ends to tie up and his master's degree in library and information science would be complete. While I'd been busy waiting to hear about the Princeton job, Jeremy had been frantically working to finish his last projects for his classes. He'd also gotten calls on other jobs he'd applied for and had two more phone interviews.

Since it was his last day and most of his schoolwork was finished up, I talked Jeremy into keeping all the kids with him while I went to Jazzercise. (I usually took them with me to be babysat there so Jeremy could do schoolwork.) Turns out this was not a good idea. When I got home, Jeremy was sitting on the couch wearing nothing but his bath towel wrapped around his waist with the baby on his lap and the other two boys right next to him. Oh, he also wore a disgruntled look on his face.

I walked in and went straight over to the phone. There was a message blinking. The caller ID said it was from Princeton. The message was from Alan Napier, the human resources guy, saying he'd like to talk with Jeremy about the position. Believe it or not, my heart really did start pounding. "Did you get this message?"

"Yes, I heard it come in. I couldn't answer the phone though."

"Well, are you going to call him back?"

"Yeah, but I'm going to go finish shaving and get dressed first."

"Oh. Ok. I had planned to take this kids to play at [rad friend's] house. Should I still do that?"

"That'd be good. Yeah."
"Ok, but promise me you'll call me when you know something."

Let me pause here to tell you just a little bit about how my husband and I are different. Sure, maybe he was just getting out of the shower when the phone call came. Maybe he had three screaming kids pawing all over him when he heard it ring. Maybe he hadn't shaved yet and wasn't dressed for a professional conversation. I get it. I just know that if the phone call had been for me, if our places had been reversed, there is no way I would ever ever let that phone call go to voice mail. No. And if, by some stroke of horrid luck, I was physically unable to reach the phone in time, I would have called back immediately. No shaving, getting dressed and getting the kids out the door. Right then.

But like I said. He and I are different.

Nothing about the next hour for me was very calm. I was driving to my friend's house and I remember thinking that I was not able to concentrate enough on driving to feel safe. I mentally ran scenarios of getting into a horrid deadly car accident with all my children just as my husband got the news about the job. Not good. I told myself to think about something else. Just be calm and don't let your brain wonder. I failed. But I did reach my destination in one piece.
At my friend's house, I fluttered about. I told her the whole story. And again. And the phone still wasn't ringing. I was pacing. She asked me what I wanted for lunch. I didn't know. Was it almost lunch time? I was just babbling to her (again) about how crazy all this was when her phone rang.
I jumped. She looked at her caller ID and said "It's for you!"
I picked up the phone. But before I tell you what he said, I'll just tell you that Jeremy is awesome because he didn't even do that thing I always try to do--when I have good news I always try to make my voice sound a little down so the surprise is bigger. You know, get your audience thinking it's bad news and then turn it around on them when you announce the good. But Jeremy didn't do that. I could hear the smile in his voice from the moment he said hello to me.
"I have a job offer!" he said. Pure joy.
Mr. Napier had offered him the politics librarian position at Princeton University. It was a 1-year position with the possibility that the contract would be renewed at the end of the appointment. It had a salary of $***** for the year. Mr. Napier also explained that all relocation expenses would be covered, and that, if possible, they'd like him to start on September 13th. But by September 20th at the latest.
Crap, that was very soon. (Remember that it's August 20th.)
"Well," I asked, "what did you tell him?"

1 comment:

Marissa Genta Pineda said...

I remember that day. You were fluttering around. I think I was a little, too.