Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pumpkin Pancakes

I know, I know. This isn't a food blog. But I periodically post things about food because I'm one of those people who need food to live.

So here are some tasty pancakes you should make. I got the recipe from here; yeah, I more or less just stole it.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cake flour (you can also use regular all-purpose flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 eggs
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons brown sugar

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients (through the nutmeg).

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the last seven ingredients.

3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and blend together with a wooden spoon until just combined. Make sure all the flour on the bottom of the bowl is mixed in. Leave the lumps. The batter will be very thick. It's ok. If it seems unbearably thick to you, you can add a bit more milk. Stir it in gently.

4. Drop ladles full of batter onto a medium-hot griddle. Pancakes are ready to turn when the edges start to look a little dry. Some small bubbles will form on the surface, too.

I loved these. I used a bit less of each of the spices (particularly nutmeg as I don't like a strong nutmeg flavor) and felt that the pancakes came out with just the right warm flavor. If you prefer, you can make these with buttermilk--omit the milk and yogurt and just use 1 cup of buttermilk instead. I prefer to use the yogurt since I always have it on hand and rarely have buttermilk. Since the batter is so thick, I felt like each pancake took a little longer to cook than other pancakes would, and you need to be a bit more careful to keep your heat moderate.

These tasted lovely with my standard butter and pure maple syrup, but next time I make them, I'm going to try this cinnamon syrup. (Please note that this link also contains a pumpkin pancakes recipe but it's not the same as the one I've just shared.)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

"One of those people who needs food to live." Awesome.
Feel free to post more food stuff. I love learning to recipes.

michelangelo said...

i made them. they are delicious. my husband agrees. as do my mil and fil. can't wait to make them again.